Monday, May 17, 2010

Should I deadhead my gardenias after flowering? I live in zone 8b and the plants are in the ground.?

Just added several beautiful gardenia plants to my landscape. They flowered and smell amazingly wonderful! If I deadhead, should I just pull the flower head out or cut the stem?

Should I deadhead my gardenias after flowering? I live in zone 8b and the plants are in the ground.?
Deadheading is not necessary, but it will produce a longer bloom time. A plants life is dedicated to reporduction and if you prevent it from reproducing by removing the seed pods (spent flowers) before they can mature, the plant will keep trying to reproduce by putting out more flowers.
Reply:My gardenias are blooming now also. You can deadhead if you want--but usually a good rain will clean the bush for you. Just pull the spent flower off--no cutting required.


No comments:

Post a Comment