Saturday, May 22, 2010

I need to know how to care for my gardenia bush..?

I have a gardenia bush about three years old.. It wasn't doing very well in the place I planted it, so this spring I dug it up and moved it. In the beginning it did really well and developed buds for the first time, now the leaves are turning yellow, and falling off. I put it in full sun, but here in the state of Alabama the afternoon sun gets really hot. I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the yellowing leaves. My mother bought it for me, and I hate to lose it... Does anyone have any suggestions?

I need to know how to care for my gardenia bush..?
Gardenia bushes don't like hot sun, if your climate is hot, move it to morning sun only area.





Gardenias are evergreen shrubs, and they replace their leaves over the seasons. They take the choryphyll out of the leaves they don't want (old) and they drop off (just odd leaves at any site on the shrub), They turn yellow before they drop.


If only odd leaves turning yellow this is probably the case. No worries just natural.





If the leaves are burning too hot a site, move in winter. Gardenias are subject to deficencies eg Magnesium - the leaves loose part of the green in the leaves and you end up with a yellow leaf with green where the veins are for instance. If you have leaves like this take them to the local garden centre and they will sell you the right mineral etc to make them happy. If you want to help root growth and give a mild tonic use a sea weed extract (Seasol) - available at garden centres. Just mix with water and water the plant.





If you water regularly (not over watering) and fertilize etc they are quite easy to grow so don't worry too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment