Monday, May 17, 2010

My grafted gardenia has suddenly been loosing the leaf color I have it in an east location?

last year it almost died but made a strong comeback after some fugiside i I live in Florida

My grafted gardenia has suddenly been loosing the leaf color I have it in an east location?
I know little or nothing about Florida soils, but here in Texas (certain areas) gardenias can be difficult to grow. The problem is the alkaline soil. This situation leads to an iron deficiency and chlorosis. The leaves will yellow with dark green veins which appears most prominent on the newest growth first. The yellowing can become so severe that the plants will turn pure white, which means there is no chlorophyll at all left in their leaves. You can add an iron/sulfur material to supply the needed iron and to keep it relatively "available" by acidifying the soil, but you would also need to start out with a planting mix that is all organic matter, including peat moss and bark mulch. I would suggest a soil test to determine if pH is a factor.
Reply:OK if the leaves are turning yellow it's a lack of iron, thay also love coffee grounds after you've had your morning coffee just take the filter with the grounds and place around the plant on the ground.

safety shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment