Monday, May 17, 2010

How do I care for Gardenias in the South?

I live in Georgia and got a few cuts from my cousin's gardenia. I have no idea what variety I have; in my cousin's house it has grown almost 5 feet tall. Keep in mind my gardener skills (-3) and the fact that Georgia clay is the most horrible thing to work with.





The cuts already have roots and I just need to know how to improve the soil condition and when is the best time to plant. I want to place them facing South, under the second floor's deck of my house.

How do I care for Gardenias in the South?
rework the soil where you are going to plant, btw southern exposure may be too harsh for them. rework the soil to about a foot depth with top soil and mulch mixed with the clay. just make sure you have good drainage adding some small rocks under the new dirt will help with that. you also need to plant them very soon.


also water heavily until they take root. protect them from frost and freeze over the winter.
Reply:Since you have the clay soil, you will need to amend it so that it turns into well drained soil. Or you could put in a raised bed that will drain better than the clay soil. But either way the gardenias need to be in part shade. Morning sun, afternoon shade would be the best.

adult teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment