Saturday, November 19, 2011

Help with diseased Gardenia Bushes ?

I have two very big Gardenia bushes in my yard and they both have this black stuff all on the leaves. I'm not sure if its a disease or something else they bloom every may 27th like clock work but that black stuff has been on the leaves for years now and I cant get rid of it. What should I do cut both plants down to the ground and let them grow back and if I should do that then when would be the right time of the year to trim them down? thanks to everybody who will answer this.

Help with diseased Gardenia Bushes ?
We've had the same problem. The black on the leaves is a "sooty mold" usually caused by whiteflies. Every so often, plants need a "bath" of sorts. Use Johnson's Baby Shampoo mixed into a gallon or so of water and put it in a pump-up garden sprayer. Thoroughly wet the plants with this mixture, allow to sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with a mild stream from the hose. In addition, use a pesticide such as Malathion to control the whiteflies.
Reply:I have gotten black powder type stuff on all three of mine every year the past couple of years. I just left them alone and they were okay. Call a nursery and take a sample to them to check it out. Mine are still alive and have buds coming on. It has been cool here so they are a little late this year. But, as you know my black stuff could be different from yours hard to say. I know I was upset the first time I noticed the stuff and am glad they are still alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment