Monday, May 11, 2009

Has anyone grown a gardenia in the house and did it work out well for you? does it bloom all winter?

how long is the blooming season etc?

Has anyone grown a gardenia in the house and did it work out well for you? does it bloom all winter?
I have grown gardenias in and outside the house. If you keep feeding them they will bloom and they hold blooms for quite a while. I had more success by leaving them in the pot outside on the west side of my house all summer and inside before a frost. They were relatively easy to get blooms. Inside all I had was weak lighting, and they just strarted blooming. This was probably the wrong way to grow then but it worked fine for me.
Reply:I grow a gardenia inside and it did not bloom at all last year. I've moved it next to a drafty window hoping the cooler temps will trigger it to bloom this year. I'm also going to move it to my porch once temps drop a little because when night time temps reach around 50 degrees then it is supposed to set buds. Also, it is a good idea to start fertilizing now. Osmocote is a good fertilizer for gardenias. As for how long it will bloom, I don't know that for sure. I think I remember the blooms lasting around 4 weeks when I first got the plant.

safety shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment